How can I work with you?
- Videoconferencing. Our preferred method of meeting is videoconferencing via Skype, and we can also use Google Hangout. If you haven’t tried it, we think you will love it. It’s free, convenient, no commute time, and you can videoconference anywhere that you have a smart phone or computer. Bonus: It’s environmentally friendly.
- Teleconference. No access to videoconferencing or having a bad hair day? No problem! Phone calls are an easy substitute for live chats.
- Electronic Document Exchange. We use DropBox Pro for document exchanges. When you become a client, you will be assigned your own private, secure DropBox folder.
Will you represent me at mediation?
Are you a real law firm? You do everything online. What gives?
As of June 1, 2017, our firm is entirely web-based and I only work remotely. Some people might think that’s a bold (or crazy) move, but I believe in working smarter and more efficiently. I also believe that we all should – as much as possible – spend time doing the things we love. For me, that means living my life by design, not default.
I love the outdoors, nature, and the awesome vistas of the Sonoran Desert, the Pacific Northwest, and everywhere in between! To do our little bit in preserving our amazing natural environment, we do everything we can to reduce, reuse, and recycle. Part of that commitment is working remotely, being as paperless as possible, and using electronic services when we can.
Will you represent me at trial?
Most people don’t realize that the Family Court system is geared to the least capable members of our society – those people who cannot or will not resolve their family issues on their own. More than 95% of all cases (in Maricopa and Pima Counties) are settled without going to trial. Of the remaining 5% that go before a judge, the vast majority involve non-legal issues such as mental illness, psychiatric and/or personality disorders, drug / alcohol addiction, family violence, and other factors that significantly reduce the ability of one or both parties to settle their case. Naturally, these are not the kind of cases we want to devote our energy to.
Even if you do everything right, and want to settle your case, you may end up in Court because the other party is mentally ill, has a (diagnosed or undiagnosed) psychiatric or personality disorder, drug / alcohol addiction, or engages in family violence. We are happy to refer you to our litigation colleagues if this is your situation.
Do you offer free consultations?
Yes and no.
We offer the following options, based on Pamela’s reduced* billing rate of $300 per hour:
• 15 minute chat for $75
• 30 minute meeting for $150
• 1-hour meeting for $300
• 2-hour meeting for $600
• 3-hour mediation for $1,000 (includes 20 minutes of document review)
If you retain our services within 30 days of your initial consultation, one-half of the consult fee is credited to your account.
*Based on moving our services to web-based delivery, we felt it was only fair to pass the savings on to you, so our billing rate has been reduced from $350 per hour to $300 per hour.
What are your fees?
Negotiation and Advocacy, and Legal Coaching and Consulting are offered on an hourly basis at $300 per hour.
Who are your clients?
The firm does not represent parties engaged in cases alleging child abuse or domestic violence, minor child adoption, termination of parental rights, vulnerable adult abuse, competency hearings, or probate litigation. We are happy to provide referrals to our trusted colleagues for those types of cases.
$200 divorce? $100,000 divorce? Which is it?
Maybe you’ve seen billboards claiming “$200 Divorce.” Is there any such unicorn? Technically, it can cost you absolutely nothing if you do it all yourself with free forms provided by the Court’s Self Service Center and if you have your filing fees waived. The problem is that some places offer the “$200 Divorce” without informing you that the exact same forms they are using are available for free. They also don’t tell you that the Superior Court charges a filing fee of $338 for filing a Petition and $269 for a Response, unless you apply and qualify for a fee waiver. By the way, that $200 doesn’t buy you any legal advice, either, because those places are document preparation services, not licensed attorneys.
Maybe you’ve heard the saying “Love is Grand, Divorce is A Hundred Grand.” Is your divorce going to cost $100,000? Yes, it can cost that and much more if you have a complex estate, want to litigate every possible claim, and take unreasonable positions with the assistance of a willing attorney.
We think your divorce should be a budgeted expense, with careful consideration to spending money where you NEED to and not where someone else WANTS you to. Keep in mind that conflict costs money, so the higher the level of conflict the more you can expect to pay in legal fees.